Thursday, December 25, 2014

My 2 cents on Nepal


Nepal is without a doubt a country of diverse and colorful cultural and natural heritages. Contrasting with this richness, poverty is everywhere perceptible and extreme natural events such as this year Typhoon Vongfong and Cyclone Hudhud only aggravates this situation. What comes next to my mind is the fact that Nepal remains an active seismic zone. If an important earthquake was to occur today, it would cause massive damage to the densely packed and precariously build infrastructures filling the Katmandu valley.

Another indisputable reality is the important and fast increasing pollution of the more densely populated cities. I was told that the main responsible cause of child mortally remains untreated respiratory infections. I haven't verified this statement but I did noticed a runny nose on every single child's face... I might be overly sensitive but I did get an eye infection and irritated throat and lungs while I was in Katmandu, and believe me, it is seriously difficult to breath while walking the streets.

I also observed a palpable pessimism among Nepali younger generation. I believe this state of mind might be a direct consequence of Nepal being cut off from the progress and social transformation observed within the neighbor countries. If the oppressive social hierarchy of the caste system is no more, the perverse impacts of the 1904 road build by the British into Tibet to Lhasa is now behind, and the number of tourist increased from 500 277 in 2008 to 800 000 in 2012, why working and migrating to India and elsewhere is still predominant?

Every single Nepali I spoke with shared the same dream of being provided with an opportunity to leave Nepal.
 
Intrigued I searched for answers and found real optimism in Sujeev Shakya's book,Unleashing Nepal, which I highly recommend reading. As stated in the foreword of the book:
Nepal faces two starkly different but equally viable paths to the future – the way of China and the way of India”. “Democratie comes easily to us in India because India has historically 'accumulated' its diverse groups who retain their distinctiveness while identifying themselves as Indian.” Something one can easily observe while travelling India, particularly here in Goa where there seem to be no difference between Catholics and Hindus. “China, on the other hand, has 'assimilated' its people into a common, homogeneous society. China is a melting pot in which differences disappear while India and Nepal are like a salad bowl in which the constituents retain their identify”.
 
I sincerely which a prosperous future filled with attractive life opportunities for these honest and generous people. 

There is so much more for me to learn from the people and to explore from these contrasting landscapes. With the hope to come explore further in the near future ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment