Sunday, March 23, 2014

REGAINING MOBILITY and freedom!


1. REGAINING MOBILITY

After more or less 2 years without sport and too many days spent in the hospital, I managed to tear my LCL and damage the meniscus in my right knew...

First, doctor ordered to not immobilized the knee in order to prevent muscles mass loss. With the pain sustainably increasing, I have sought for a second opinion. A second doctor provided me with a cruel verdict, almost complete teared LCL requiring complete immobilization and most probably, 1 to 2 years of recovery before engaging with any kind of sport....

In short, after 8 weeks laying in bed with a knee brace, I was finally promoted to the use of crutches and to a certain level of freedom!


Physiotherapy came along with the crutches. To this point, a long journey towards recovery had already began. Pretty much 3 times a week I went to the physio in order to have my leg stretched as I lost the full extension of my leg. 

One really nice discovery I made throughout this ordeal is a little and seriously affordable accessory, a balance wobble board! The one displayed in the photo is the one I used. The concept is pretty simple, you stand on the board and carry out some balance exercise. 



The result is an instant leg muscle workout as every single muscle is activated to maintain balance on the board. Together with this daily physiotherapy routine  I also revisit balance and strength exercises that I was previously provided with by my osteopath in Calgary (Canada).

These exercises are freely accessible via Intrinsi's website. Edward and Lucy have treated my neck, facial and head injuries. These guys are simply amazing but sadly, they were a little out of reach this time...
 
Luckily, after 6 weeks I was authorized to begin walking without crutches. It was pretty funny to watch... 

Nine months later, I am able to ride my bike and hike around. On good days, I can run short distance on soft ground but my knee still hurt a little. 

"Do your practice and all is coming" would say Sri K Pattabhi Jois



1 comment:

  1. Hey Nivea,
    I was just thinking about you the other day - -it's lovely to read up on what you're up to and where you are in the world. Thanks for the shout out & link. Take care of yourself. Lucy Paget

    ReplyDelete